DUNE: SPICEWARS’ THIRD PLAYABLE FACTION. THE SMUGGLERS DUNE
Today, publisher Funcom and Shiro Games revealed the Smuggler’s third playable faction in the upcoming strategy game Dune. The Smugglers are a departure from the theme of Great Houses and have a different strategy for obtaining supremacy at Arrakis.
They start their journey near the planet’s pole region. This gives them access to polar waters that they can trade and makes it easier to get around. They can also penetrate the villages of their adversaries, profiting from their infrastructure and slowly expanding their reach on Earth.
“Parasitizing their neighbours’ development, embedding the underworld of their productions into the smallest furrows their productions. They are renowned for rapid and meticulous looting even the smallest wealth Arrakis,” the developer notes in an email press release.
Esmar Tuek is their leader. He is a skilled spymaster who knows when to be tough with his staff and respects contracts. His respectable gold supply and business acumen keep his loyal troops happy.
The Smugglers have access to four councillors like Dune: Spice Wars’ two other factions. Saban Tuek uses his “innate understanding of the political landscape in Arrakis” to influence the Landsraad Council.
Linear Bewt is a specialist in the water trade. Drisq, Esmar’s loyal quartermaster and in charge of regular logistics and Sietch Tuek’s spy network, is Disc. Bannerjee is the head of security and focuses on the military aspect of things.
Smugglers’ units excel at eliminating weak opponents and can reduce enemy supply, starving them during combat. Here’s what the developer has to say about them.
- Scavengers are opportunistic, ruthless killers who will do whatever it takes to make a quick buck. With their sharpened knives, they prefer to attack weak and starving units. Their strength increases as their targets supply decreases.
- Wreckers: They use chemical weapons to reduce enemy supply in their area of operation, making them a perfect harassing unit that allows their allies to loot the spoils easily.
- Scouts: These are the most dangerous sharpshooters equipped with modified sniper rifles and have the longest attack range in Arrakis. They are skilled at finishing fleeing units, thanks to their camouflage.
- Free Company: These are the most well-known bounty hunters and assassins in the Imperium. They come equipped with stealth gear and dual swords. Their ability to imitate their targets’ skills in fights gives them their versatility.
- Combat drone: A strong mechanical unit designed for autonomous fighting and support of the Smuggler troops. Extremely agile, but most importantly fragile.
The Spice Wars preview focuses on key gameplay elements of the forthcoming strategy game. This includes supply and why it is important when traversing Arrakis’ desert. The game will be available on PC via Steam early access later in the year.